Our Weekend
Our weekend started off preparing for Hurricane Gustav. We wasn't sure how bad it was going to be but were hoping for the best.
Saturday morning, I started doing laundry because when our power goes out, so does the water. Our power goes out when the wind blows, and that's no joke. I wanted to make sure all our clothes were clean because I wasn't prepared after Katrina. I ended up doing laundry at other people's houses just so we'd have something to wear.
Once I got through with the laundry, my mama, Logan and I went to visit a friend who just got home from the hospital having a baby. She had a little boy she named Brandon. Logan enjoyed meeting Brandon. Logan's remarks about Brandon, "His whole body is little bitty, even his head." (??? ha!)
Sunday evening, we had friends over preparing our "feast" for Labor Day. We cooked a whole hog! Then, on Monday, Labor Day, was the first day of Dove Season. Logan has been waiting on this day for a while. He was so excited! For a week now he's asked me everyday, is it dove season yet? It was no different Monday morning. Coming down the stairs, "Mama, is today dove season?" I said, yes, can you believe it. He gave me the biggest smile! All the guys were already out shooting and he couldn't wait to get out there. I got his red rider bb gun down and we walked out to the pasture. He took a little chair and sat right beside his daddy. He couldn't get the grin off his face! Of course, Logan's bb gun didn't have bb's in it, but he didn't care. Everytime a dove would fly, Logan would get up and aim his gun just like everybody else.
We only had about two hours worth of hunting before the rain started. Gustav was moving in on us. With about 9 people, we ended up with around 70 doves harvested. Can't wait to wrap those doves in bacon and put them on the grill! Speaking of food...after the hunt, everybody enjoyed the wild hog that we cooked. Since the hunt got rained out so soon, we ended up eating lunch around 9:30 that morning!
By noon, everybody was gone. The rain was here to stay, though. Our power went out about 1:30, but actually only stayed out for about 30 minutes. I was impressed. It's usually hours and hours. Well, at about 6:00, they went out again. This time they were out until almost 11:00. I knew it was too good to be true. I was still impressed because they weren't out all night, as usual.
This morning, we are still feeling the effects from Gustav. Rain, rain go away! There have been tornado warnings all morning. It makes me so uneasy with Logan being away from me when there is bad weather. So far, nothing real bad, which is good.
Logan had to take a red apple to school this morning. They will be learning about the letter "A". I also sent apple juice boxes for all the kids. He was actually excited about school this morning. I hope he has a good day.
0 comments:
Post a Comment