Asthma
Last year, Logan was diagnosed with asthma by his pediatrician. I was in denial, so I took him for a 2nd opinion at the MS Asthma and Allergy clinic in Jackson. We saw Dr. Walcott. He confirmed that Logan does in fact have asthma. He helped us get in under control and how to try to prevent attacks, mostly by medicines. Logan eventually had to do the allergy test that consisted of about 12 pricks on his back. The results came back and it only said he was allergic to dust mites. I can't remember what all they tested him for. The dr. said that most of Logan's asthma attacks were from having a sinus infections leading to the asthma. Once we cleared up the sinus infection the asthma would calm down.
So, I do everything I can to keep Logan from getting sick. When he starts getting a runny nose, it seems to always turn right to a sinus infection. Then we have to start breathing treatments for the asthma. Last year, Logan was at the asthma dr. every couple of months. Well, I'm happy to say that it's been over six months since we've been. He's not be very sick lately, which I'm thankful. He's also not had a severe asthma attack since last year.
Until last night. Out of the blue.
Yesterday, I got some hand-me-down clothes from a friend of mine. His little boy is two years older than Logan and when he outgrows his clothes, they'll let me have some for Logan. When I got home, we were looking through the clothes and Logan was so proud. There were these cute little cowboy pj's that he loved and wanted to put them on. Logan started sneezing while we were looking through the clothes. I didn't think a thing about him sneezing because he sneezes all the time. I took the clothes in the laundry room so they could be washed but Logan begged to wear the pj's to bed. You know how kids can be...and mama's that give in. Anyway, the clothes were clean, but, being the mama I am, I just wanted to wash them again before he wore them. The friend who I got the clothes from has dogs and cats inside his house, so I wanted to make sure there was no cat hair on them. (Travis is allergic to cats.)
Well, after Logan's bath, we put these pj's on and he sneezed and sneezed. I still didn't think anything about the sneezing. Well, around 2 am, Logan woke me up coughing his head off. He coughed every breath for the longest time. I gave him a puff from his inhaler but it didn't help any. I sat on his bed with him for a while and the coughing kept getting worse. I finally decided that it must be the pj's. Maybe there was cat hair on them and he's allergic? I don't know. Something got him all stirred up. We did nothing out of the ordinary yesterday besides these new pj's.
I took off the pj's and I put him on the breathing machine for a treatment. These treatments usually last about 10 minutes. As I lay there watching him close his eyes and try to rest with this little mask over his face, I'm praying that the coughing will stop. I hate to see him like this, because it scares him when he can't catch his breath. (his mama too) After the treatment, he coughed about three or four more times and he fell asleep. It's amazing! He stopped coughing! I'm so thankful I have the breathing machine....and I'm so proud my prayers were answered!
So, what do you think caused the asthma attack? I'm wondering if I need to go back and have him tested to see if he's allergic to pj's!
0 comments:
Post a Comment