Hurricane

With this hurricane Gustav approching, I can't help but to think about when we went through Katrina. That was an experience of a life time. The next few days after it was all over, I wrote a lot about Katrina in Logan's scrap book. I figured it would be history. I may have to get it out and type it here. It's interesting to go back and read.

We never expected it to be so bad. Logan was about 10 1/2 months old. He didn't know what was going on. He was having fun. We had family staying with us so he was getting lots of attention.

Our power was out for almost two weeks. We lived like pioneers, well sort of. Our house is full of antiques and we put some of them to use. I remember washing clothes in an old wash tub and scrubbing them on an old wash board. I got the water out of our pond. Thank goodness we don't have to do that this day and age, it was work!!!

The water from the pond came in handy because we had no water to flush toilets. So, we'd fill up buckets and pour them in the toilet to flush. Travis and Logan also took baths in the pond. I opted out and took a cold bath at other people's house who had water. But I did shave my legs one time with pond water!

We were able to get a little generator eventually. We hooked up the freezer, refrigerator, a fan and a lamp. That's it. Before long, it wasn't so bad. We actually adjusted to that lifestyle. I was off work that whole week. Our agency shut down and lot of them went down to help coast residents.

I pray for the people living on the coast now. So many people still have not adjusted since Katrina, and we may be going through it all again.

0 comments: